I’d really like to call this a one-dish dinner. But I’m not going to. I could. But I won’t, because I can’t. Because yes, the second step in the process involves cooking all the food together in one dish. But there’s a first step that involves 2 other pans. One for the potatoes, another for the mushrooms and onions. So too many dishes to justify not calling it “one-dish.”
This meal is next on my list for when we have company over for dinner…this really is a great inexpensive and impressive “company dish” that you could serve to anyone!
I used red potatoes that were on sale for 2 lbs for $1, a big pack of pork chops that was reduced for quick sale, and half of a pound of sliced mushrooms that was on sale for $2. Served with a side of frozen broccoli for an super inexpensive dish that could have served 8, but left our family with plenty of leftovers!
Potato-Mushroom Smothered Pork Chops
- 2 lbs. baby red potatoes (about 16), quartered ($1)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil ($.05)
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms ($1)
- 1 small white or yellow onion, chopped ($.20)
- Salt and pepper
- About 3 Tbsp butter or margarine ($.10)
- About 1/4 cup milk or sour cream or cream cheese ($.25)
- 8 pork chops ($3.51)
- Salt and pepper
- Broccoli or other vegetable side ($1)
- Boil the quartered red potatoes. (I left the skins on because I was feeling lazy...and small red potatoes are tough to peel.)
- Saute the mushrooms and onions in the olive oil in a large skillet for 10 to 15 minutes, over medium heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain and add to bowl and mash with the butter, milk or sour cream or cream cheese (whatever you like to use to make mashed potatoes.) Gently fold in the sauteed mushrooms and onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the pork chops into an 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle salt and pepper over the top. Top with the potato-mushroom mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until pork chops have cooked through.
- Prepare the broccoli or other vegetable.
- Serve Potato-Mushroom Smothered Pork Chops with side of veggies.