Here’s how this pork chop recipe went down. I found some pork chops in the freezer that I’d purchased before Austin was born. And I also came across a bag of fresh cranberries that I’d dropped in the freezer during the holidays. I was *supposed* to make and bring homemade cranberry sauce to our family’s holiday feast this past year…but we were hit with some kind of weird virus, so we were quarantined and I never did get to make my cranberry sauce (or my pies.)…so I had a couple bags of fresh cranberries left over in the freezer. (And yes, I was able to get them for $.25 using the $1/1 coupon that came out during the holidays.)
The pork chops were $1.99/lb…that’s my ‘never pay more than price’…and paired with ingredients I already had on hand, plus rice and some frozen veggies I stocked up on when they were $1 per bag…I’ve got a simple, well balanced and well round dinner on the table!
Season the chops, while the cranberry sauce is simmering.
Douse the chops in the sauce. And then bake…
- 4 pork chops about 1.5 lbs.
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of cinnamon on top of each chop
- 12 oz. fresh cranberries or one 15 oz. can
- 1/4 cup spicy mustard
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown rice
- 16 oz frozen veggies
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9x13 inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cranberries, spicy mustard, sugar with 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook at a rolling boil for about 20 minutes, or until the cranberries have popped and sauce begins to thicken.
- (If using canned cranberries, stir together the cranberries, spicy mustard and half of the sugar in a bowl, then spread over the chops.)
- Add the pork chops to the baking dish and season with salt and pepper and a dash of cinnamon to each chop.
- Pour the cooked sauce over the top of the pork chops and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until pork chops are cooked through. Cooking time may vary, depending on thickness of the chop.
- Serve Pork Chops with Cranberry-Mustard Sauce with a side of rice and veggies.