Tacos. We love tacos. The boys devour them. They love the crunchy mess. They love the flavors. They love to see how full they can make them. And they love to eat them on their special taco plates. (My mom gave us some for Christmas…GREAT gift!)
I love the concept of making tacos in the oven…and melting the cheese over the top of the meat. Then piling on the toppings.
I doubled up the beef-bean taco meat and stashed the other half in the freezer…I’m thinking about using it for stuffed peppers. Or another taco night. Or enchiladas. We’ll see what kind of inspiration strikes (and what other ingredients I have on hand!) when I pull it out of the freezer in the near future.
Below is the “doubled version” recipe for the taco meat. Half it, if you want just this for dinner. Make recipe as is, if you want to freeze some. Or if you have a large family. Or are feeding lots of boys. You get the picture.
Beef & Bean Oven Tacos
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cup black beans
- 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 8 taco shells (for 1 meal)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (for 1 meal)
- Toppings, or side suggestions - shredded lettuce, salsa, avocado chunks, guacamole, corn
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion. Once browned, drain well. Stir in the black beans, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Line up 8 taco shells in a 7x11 inch baking dish.
- Spoon meat mixture into the taco shells. Top with a pinchfuls of cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve Beef & Bean Oven Tacos with side of veggies.
OMG!!! Love those plates! So buying some for my boys! Might even get some for my brother for Xmas! This recipe sounds divine! Trying tonight since it is Taco Night at our house!!!
Love $5 recipes!!
Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom says
Yay for Taco Night…and for fun plates that make it even more fun!
kiko @ quickcashautoloans says
Who wouldn’t enjoy a delicious taco recipe. Looks delicious and already emailed it to my sister who loves to cook.
Another way to enjoy my favorite food of all. Thanks for sharing. ;p
Michelle Armistead says
I love this! The pictures make me think I could try this recipe. Thanks for putting this together….oven tacos for dinner at my house tomorrow, right after I get everything from the store.
Rachel Abel says
Love this. I am always trying to sneak beans in my kids food. Maybe all mixed in they won’t notice!
Can’t wait to try this! We also LOVE melted cheese… Wish I had thought of it! Thank you for your continual inspiration, Erin!
Do the bottoms of the shells get soggy when you do this?
Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom says
Not if the meat is “dry” enough! Might want to strain it first if need be.
How do you freeze? All the ingredients in bag pre cooked? Do you use the canned black beans or boiled fresh beans? Thanks for the great info!
Are these precooked taco shells or the ones in the bread aisle that need to be fried in oil?
Jenn K says
Precooked taco shells. 🙂