I love smoothies.
While I normally make them with milk or yogurt, but when asked to come up with a recipe using Sunkist® Valencia Oranges, I thought a “dessert” smoothie was in order.
Substitute milk/yogurt with ice cream…and voila…a dessert smoothie!
OK…but first…have you heard of “re-greening”?!?
I haven’t/hadn’t. But I know what it means now!
Sunkist® Valencia oranges may occasionally “re-green” in warm weather. When Valencias ripen on the tree, they turn a bright orange color but warm temperatures may make their skin reabsorb chlorophyll as they hang on the tree causing the orange color to look partly green—although the outside is green, the inside remains ripe and delicious!
You can learn more by watching this quick video about the process.
And a few more cool and interesting facts about Valencia Oranges…
- Fresh Valencia juice may be squeezed and refrigerated overnight. If tightly covered and immediately chilled, no loss of flavor or Vitamin C will occur.
- Fresh juice packs nutritional power and great taste into all kinds of fruit smoothies. Start with 1/2 cup of juice and 1/2 cup of diced orange in a blender. Add a peeled banana, some frozen berries and 1/2 cup of yogurt. Your body will thank you!
- Say “Valencia!” Valencias especially good to eat when cut into “smiles.” Cut fruit in half crosswise; then cut 3 or 4 wedges from each half.
- Peeling Valencias is easy: trim a thin slice from each end of the fruit, then set orange on one end. Cut away strips of peel from top to bottom, until all peel is removed
You can find additional Sunkist citrus recipes …now get to sneaking in these Vitamin C packed orange gems in more places than your dessert smoothies!
Orange, Mango, Banana Dessert Smoothies
- 2 Sunkist® Valencia Oranges, peeled
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 banana
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (2 Sunkist® Valencia Oranges worth)
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Peel the oranges (see video above).
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and puree.
- Serve immediately.