I don’t know about you, but I absolutely adore the lovely rice you get on the side at a Mexican restaurant. Tex Mex is the name of the game. After much trial and error I think I’ve finally recreated a recipe that’s really close to what you’ll find in a local restaurant. This rice pairs perfectly with any sort of Mexican dish and is super simple and cheap to put together. It’s also free of the top 8 allergens! I hope you enjoy it!
Yield – 4-6 servings
Preparation Time – 7 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1 Cup Rice
- 1/3 Cup Onion, Minced
- 1 Clove Garlic, Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock or Water
- Heat a large skillet to medium high and saute the onion, garlic, and rice until onions are soft and rice is slightly golden brown.
- Add in the tomato paste and stir until well incorporated.
- Add in the spices and stir to combine.
- Slowly add in in the chicken stock or water and stir until everything is well mixed.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
::: Download the FREE $5 Dinners Toolbar – never miss a recipe, coupon, deal or meal plan! Learn more. :::
Awesome…having Mexican tonight and was going to do yet another search for rice. Haven’t found one I like yet. Hope this is the one!!
Tried this recipe tonight, and in my husband’s words, it was a home run! We have 2 toddlers, and all four of us loved it. We will visit this recipe again and again. Thank you!!