Simple. Fuss-free. Tasty.
(The only thing I wish I’d done before serving these was toast the tortillas in a hot skillet…just 30 seconds per side…give them a little flavor boost.)
I have been waiting to make these since the beginning of March! Rather, these have been waiting for me to make them since the beginning of March!!!
- 1.5 lb pork shoulder or loin, cubed ($2.83)
- 2 Tbsp oil ($.05)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin ($.05)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves ($.10)
- 1/4 cup lime juice or juice from 1 lime ($.10)
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 corn tortillas ($.50)
- Salsa, diced avocado, sour cream dollops to garnish ($.50)
- Corn Cobs ($.80)
- In a mixing bowl, toss the pork cubes in the oil and ground cumin. Season with a few dashes of salt and pepper.
- Place in the base of the slow cooker. Add the garlic, lime juice, and water.
- Set on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Remove, let cool slightly, then shred with 2 forks.
- (Toast the corn tortillas in a warm skillet.)
- Boil corn cobs and serve as a side item.
- Spoon the carnitas meat over the corn tortilla and top with salsa, diced avocado, and/or sour cream.