I think I need a support group.
Specifically, a Caramelized Onions support group. I could eat caramelized onions by the spoonful. I love the way they taste. I love the way they make my house smell when they are caramelizing. And I love the way they make mashed potatoes taste better.
I will be taking these to our Thanksgiving feast. Rest assured.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 large white onions thinly sliced
- 6 large Russet potatoes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk or more for creamier potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Caramelize the onions - heat the olive oil, sugar and balsamic vinegar in a large skillet. Add the chopped onions. Let cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Peel, cube and boil potatoes in a large pot of water. Once soft, drain and mash with the butter, milk (or whatever else) and salt and pepper.
- Combine the mashed potatoes with the caramelized onions.
- Serve warm as side dish.