Brussels Sprouts. Poor things…they have such a bad rap.
I really like them. And both boys willingly eat them. I had to convince them that they tasted like broccoli to get them to try them…but once they did, they both finished off their portion. The hint of maple sweetness *might* have helped them eat them all up.
I could eat these sweet maple flavored, oven roasted little green gems every night of the week!
Prices to look for: $1.99/lb or less for fresh, $.88-$1 per 12-16 oz bag for frozen
- 2 12 oz. bags of frozen Brussels sprouts
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Few dashes of salt and pepper
- Cook the frozen Brussels sprouts first as directed on the package, then drain the water and pat them dry. (If using fresh Brussels sprouts, wash and pat dry the Brussels sprouts. Pick off any yellow leaves. Steam in a steamer for about 4-5 minutes. Pat dry and proceed to next step.)
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the maple syrup and olive oil. Toss with the dried Brussels sprouts. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Place into a small roasting pan or shallow baking dish and roast at 400 for 30-35 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.