This is one of my husband’s all time favorite meals.
When he walks in the door and smells these on the table, I have a very happy man. 🙂
It’s easy to keep all of these ingredients on hand for a quick meal as it uses canned salmon.
I’ve modified his mother’s recipe to suit our allergy set (dairy free), as I hope you will for yours!
Yield – 4-6 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 1/2 Cup Onion, Minced
- 1 Sleeve Crackers, Crushed (or about 2 cups bread crumbs)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dill, Dried
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 Can Salmon
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Cup Corn Meal
- Take the bones out of the salmon. Just break it apart as you take it out of the can and pick out the bones. It’s super easy 🙂
- Put the salmon, onion, seasonings, cracker/bread crumbs, egg, and water into a large bowl and mix well.
- Shape the salmon mixture into patties and dust in corn meal. You should get about 8 patties if you use about 1/3 cup per patty.
- Heat a large skillet and the oil over medium to medium high heat.
- Pan-fry the patties, 4 at a time until golden brown on each side, about 5 minutes per side
- Serve with lemons or lemon juice to drizzle on the patties.
You can serve this with mashed potatoes and a nice big salad to round out the meal.
* The egg is only a binder in this recipe so you are free to leave it out if there is an egg allergy in your house. If you need to leave out the egg, up the water to 3/4 of a cup to make up for the liquid loss. The patties won’t stick together quite as nicely, but they’ll be equally delicious, I promise 🙂
**You could also use GF bread crumbs to make this a gluten free meal!
This looks tasty. Hubby’s a salmon lover, so I’m definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing!
Just thought you might like a twist on an old favorite. I had the bright idea just last night. I took some Pepperidge Farm’s Herb Stuffing Mix, threw it in my mini-food processor and made crumbs out of it that I substituted for the cracker crumbs. We thought it was a tasty change.
i love fishcakes! these look delish – can’t wait to try them 🙂
The Working Home Keeper says
I’m making salmon patties for dinner tonight! I’m using my Momma’s recipe – 1 can of salmon, 1/2 cup flour, 1 egg and about 1/2 cup of diced onion. Very simple! Growing up my Momma would take about half of a second can of salmon and add it to a skillet with diced onion and eggs. She’d make kind of a salmon and egg scramble which she served over rice.
The Working Home Keeper
Jessi @ Quirky Cookery says
*cough* Those are Pacman patties! *cough*
Yep, that's all I can see in the picture is Pacman, going for this next little dot of fish….
Sheri N says
These were great! I cooked fresh salmon instead of using it from the can and followed the recipe as instructed.
We do not have allergies. I’d like the original recipe.