Tonight’s simple, filling and frugal meal ideas come from Tara! Love that you can the simple instructions for the Lentil Casserole..and seems like a no fuss dinner, as long as you remember to get it into the oven in time! And can’t beat the variations of the black bean burritos…soft shell, hard shell or over chips!!!
Thanks so much for these easy and simple recipes!!!
A fabulous "base" that could be served as is, or as tacos/burritos/nachos.
Servings - 4 persons
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic Mrs. Dash or other seasoning blend
- 1 small white onion sliced and sauteed
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Tortillas, taco shells or tortilla chips
- Mix lentils, rice, basil, rosemary, oregano, garlic powder, and chicken broth in casserole dish. Cover and bake on 300 F for 1hr. 45 minutes to 2 hrs. (I stir after 30 minutes to mix in the seasoning.)
- Serve over salad and top w/ sour cream. Goes well with tortilla chips. Or serve as a dip w/ tortilla chips and a with salad.
- In saucepan, heat 1 can black beans, 1 tsp. cumin, and 1 tsp. Garlic Mrs. Dash.
- Cook rice as directed on package.
- Mix equal parts black beans and rice. (You can also mix in cooked ground beef.)
- Top with sauteed onions, grated cheese, sour cream.
- Serve lentils & rice with seasoned black beans. Top with sauteed onions, grated cheese, sour cream. Perfect like this, or as taco/burrito/nachos.
Ooh that lentil casserole looks so easy – must try it!
Stephanie @ Couponing 101 says
That sounds good and really easy! Plus, I am OBSESSED with lentils right now, so it looks especially good, hehe.
Is the rice in the lentil casserole cooked or uncooked when it goes in?
Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom says
Thrifty Jenny says
I am so excited about the lentil casserole! I am obsessed with lentils right now too! Ever since switching to organic meats I have been looking for more meatless meals to keep on our budget.
Hmmm. Sounds tasty. As becoming a frugal now, and have given attention to my health by doing cheap exercises, it’s also important to have an inexpensive yet healthy diet. Thank your for sharing the recipe to frugal diet.