The ultimate rice and beans budget recipe – Lentil Burritos!
Rice and Lentils together make up a “complete protein” – making for a perfectly balanced and filling meal.
All for under $5!
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- 1 cup green lentils uncooked
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 8 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Salsa or sour cream garnish
- 2 cups frozen corn side dish
- Bring 2 1/4 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup of rice. Return to boil. Then reduce heat, cover and simmer 20 minutes until rice is done.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup lentils. Cook lentils in 4 cups of water for 20-30 minutes until tender. Drain off excess water.
- Combine cooked rice and lentils in large saucepan. Add tomato paste + 2 tomato paste cans worth of water. Stir through.
- Add onions, seasoning packet or spices. Let simmer about 10 minutes. Check on it to make sure it doesn't get too "dry".
- Spoon lentil-rice mixture into tortilla. Add shredded cheese. Wrap up burrito style!
- Cook frozen corn as directed. Serve as side dish or inside the burrito.