When I think of pasta and peas together, I think of blue box macaroni with a can of tuna and a can or bag of frozen peas.Â Well, thatâ€™s what I thought about pasta and peas before I really learned how to cook.
The fun of cooking comes with exploring with flavors, textures and tossing together new ingredients. Iâ€™m always on the hunt for new favorite recipesâ€¦especially for lunch. And while this could definitely be dinnerâ€¦it would make for a great pasta for lunchâ€¦and it would keep well in the fridge for leftovers.
Iâ€™m loving the ham, peas, lemon, Parmesan and dill flavors together in this one!!!
Lemon Pasta with Ham and Peas
- 3/4 lb penne pasta
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 12 ounce bag frozen peas, cooked or steamed as directed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon plus about 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp dried dill, or fresh if you have it
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Garlic bread; as side dish
- Cook the pasta as directed. Drain and dont rinse.
- Return pasta to the pan it was cooked in, or into a serving bowl.
- Toss the diced ham and the cooked peas with the pasta.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, vinegar, dill along with some salt and pepper.
- Pour it over the pasta and toss.
- Toss in the Parmesan cheese. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving. (If you are in a time crunch, rinse the pasta with cool water to cut the chilling time down to 15 to 20 minutes.)
- Prepare garlic bread.
- Serve Lemon Pasta with Ham and Peas with garlic bread.