Key Lime Poke Cake has a Refreshing Taste of Summer in Every Bite of this
This key lime poke cake features key lime flavors in both the filling and the frosting – making it the perfect summer cake!
How to Make a Poke Cake
Step 1 – Bake & Cool the Cake
Step 2 – Make the Pudding or Jello “Filling”
Step 3 – Prepare the Frosting Layer
Step 4 – Once Cool, Poke Holes. Fill in the Holes with the Pudding or Jello Mixture
Step 5 – Frost & Chill the Cake
Step 6 – Devour!!!
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups water
Key Lime Poke Filling
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 4 drops green food coloring or more if you prefer darker green filling
Key Lime Frosting
- 12 oz. container vanilla frosting
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp grated lime peel divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cake mix, oil, eggs and water until smooth. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated oven for 32 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean in the center. Cool on cooling racks for an hour before adding filling and frosting.
- While the cake is baking, mix together the filling in another mixing bowl. Stir together the sweetened condensed milk, whipped cream, lime juice and food coloring. Store in the fridge until cake is cooled and ready for filling
- In another small mixing bowl, combine the frosting, lime juice and half of the grated lime peel. Use the remaining grated lime peel for garnish.
- Once the cake is cooled, poke 1/2-inch holes into the cake. Spread the filling into the holes and on top of the cake. Finally, spread the frosting over the top.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.