I could say a LOT LOT LOT about this meal.
But I’m just going to say this.
IT IS FABULOUS.
Thanks for the power of the heat and pressure of the Instant Pot cooking!
Make this TODAY!
Here’s how it works…
Add the oil and brown the sausage.
Mix in the dried onion and garlic powder, for an extra pop of flavor in the soup.
Add the diced potatoes.
Stir to combine and then cook on High for 7 minutes.
Once cooked, add the kale.
Stir it into the warm soup, and it will “wilt” and cook into the soup.
But it’s not ready yet!
It needs the cream.
Don’t skimp with “whole milk.” Or even half-half. It needs the full, heavy cream for the full, robust flavor.
Now it’s ready to ladle.
Keep on warm mode until ready to serve.
Add a touch of crushed red pepper, if you’d like.
I did NOT cook with the crushed red pepper because I didn’t want the spice to turn off any of the boys.
I added a little to my bowl and to Steve’s bowl.
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. mild Italian ground sausage
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 Russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper optional or use as garnish
- 2 to 3 cups kale leaves stems removed
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: grated Parmesan cheese
- Side: salad
- In the Instant Pot insert, heat the oil on Saute mode and then brown the Italian ground sausage with the minced onion and garlic powder.
- Press Cancel, then pour in the chicken stock, potatoes and crushed red pepper. Close the lid and set to Sealing.
- Cook on High, for 7 minutes.
- Quick release and stir in the kale. Let sit on Keep Warm mode for a few minutes to allow the kale to melt into the soup.
- Stir in the heavy cream. Keep on Warm mode until ready to serve. Garnish with shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Serve Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana with simple side salad. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply