Here it is…our fabulous instant pot taco soup!!!
I love making this soup in the slow cooker and on the stovetop. I have made it many-many-many times over the years.
But I have to tell you…I like the Instant Pot version the best.
Why? Because of the way that an electric pressure cooker heats and pressurizes the food, it does a better job of infusing flavor.
Yes, infusing the delicious taco flavors into the meat, beans and corn! The result is such deep and delicious flavor!
Before we get to the recipe, a couple of notes:
- The recipe below calls for a homemade taco seasoning mix. You can use a packet in place of the chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powders.
- The recipe below has 2 ways to make this in the Instant Pot. Already have browned ground beef in the freezer. OR. The ground beef you have is raw. OR. The ground beef is raw and you don’t want to saute in the instant pot.
- This is a very ‘freezer to Instant Pot friendly’ meal. Follow these directions/use this freezer to instant pot strategy and times if cooking the soup from frozen.
Alrighty then…that’s it!
Happy Instant-Potting! And I hope you enjoy this Instant Pot Taco Soup!
Instant Pot Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes undrained
- 15 oz. 15 oz. can corn drained
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup hot water (if cooking from frozen)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Crushed tortilla chips optional topping
- Fresh veggies as side dish
- OPTION 1: In a large saucepan, brown and drain the ground beef. Drain and add the browned ground beef to the pressure cooker insert.
- OPTION 2: Use the saute function on the Instant Pot and brown the ground beef in the insert.
- OPTION 3: Pull pre-browned ground beef from the freezer and add frozen to the insert.
- Add the black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth into the electric pressure cooker insert.
- Stir in the chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder and hot water in with the other ingredients.
- Steam valve: Sealing.
- Cook on: Manual/High for 15 minutes.
- Release: Natural or Quick.
- Prepare fresh veggies.
- Serve Instant Pot Taco Soup, with crushed tortilla chips and cheese as garnish, with a side of veggies.