Shredded chicken – it’s a staple for many different meals. And it’s also simple and easy enough to use as a meal by itself. This shredded chicken is leveled with a little salsa and homemade taco seasoning and then the Instant Pot takes care of the flavor infusing and making for a rich, delicious shredded chicken.
You could make this with all boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or half breasts-half thighs, or all boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I personally prefer the half-half combo – it’s got just the right depth of flavor! So I’ve written it as such below – but you’ll want about 2 lbs. chicken total! Enjoy!
Helpful Instant Pot Resources
- Electric Pressure Cooking 101 – Online Class
- Which Instant Pot is Right for Me?
- Instant Pot Recipes on $5 Dinners
Instant Pot Taco Chicken
Yield – 6 to 8 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup red (or green!) salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or 2 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning)
- Add the chicken broth and vinegar into the base of the Instant Pot insert. Place the chicken breasts and thighs into the broth. Pour the salsa over the top and then sprinkle the taco seasoning over the top. Give it a gentle stir to incorporate.
- Close the lid and set to Sealing.
- Cook on Manual, High for 15 minutes. (If cooking from frozen, cook for 22-23 minutes.)
- Release: natural, or 10-minute natural then release.
- Open the lid and shred the chicken into the sauce, then strain.
- Serve as is over rice, or use to make tostadas, tacos, burritos, or whatever! Enjoy!