Everyone talks about how amazing the Instant pot is because it is so fast.
And yes, it is fast.
Like, with this roast…in the oven this roast would take 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours to cook. It’s under an hour in the Instant Pot.
But, for me…
It’s the way it infuses flavor.
The way that it’s so hands off!
“Drop and go” – very similar to the slow cooker. Add all the things, then carry on with whatever else in your life and day that requires your attention.
In the case of this meat, you can sear it and then pressure cook it (all in the same Instant Pot), or you can just add it from the freezer right into the Instant Pot and let it take care of the thawing and cooking!
Add a few Italian flavors – balsamic, spices and tomatoes – and you have the makings of a lovely hoagie sandwich! Enjoy!
Helpful Instant Pot Resources
- Budget Friendly Instant Pot Recipes
- Freezer Friendly Instant Pot Recipes
- Which Instant Pot is Right for Me?
Instant Pot Italian Beef Hoagies
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 lbs. beef chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- Salad, as side dish
- Add the oil to the Instant Pot insert. Press Saute, and adjust to high temperature.
- Season all sides of the beef roast with salt and pepper.
- Heat up the oil and sear all sides of the beef roast, turning with tongs every 30 to 45 seconds. Once all sides are browned, press Cancel to turn off the Instant Pot.
- Pour the beef broth around the browned beef roast, then pour th the crushed tomatoes over the top. Add the Italian seasoning and balsamic vinegar and gently stir in.
- Put the lid on, set to Sealing.
- Cook on Manual, High Pressure for 45 to 55 minutes. The pressure cooking time of this beef roast will depend on how thick it is. After the cooking cycle, you can check for an internal temperature of 165 F to 170 F. If it's not that high, close the lid and turn it back on for 5-10 minutes.
- Quick or natural release the pressure. Remove the beef roast and slice or shred it with the sauce.
- Assemble the hoagies with shredded beef, sauce and slices of Provolone cheese. If preferred, place under the oven broiler to melt the cheese.
- Prepare salad.
- Serve Instant Pot Italian Beef Hoagies with salad.
- Freeze & Thaw Instructions: Add all ingredients except cheese and hoagie buns to a freezer safe bag. Remove air. Seal, label, and freeze up to 6 months in fridge freezer or 12 months in a deep freezer. Thaw in the fridge overnight, or a warm bowl of water for about 20 minutes, before transferring to the Instant Pot and cooking on on Manual, high for 45 to 55 minuets. (When cooking from frozen or partially thawed, you can skip the searing steps but will need to add 15 to 20 minutes to the cook time.) Shred the beef and assemble sandwiches as directed.