These amazing green-green tacos have just enough spice and just enough flavor punch to have your family begging for more. They call for green chilies and green salsa (salsa verde). Salsa verde is not a spicy salsa, but it is packed with flavor. The green chilies will give the chicken a teeny, tiny bit of spice…but not too much to aggravate your taste buds. Plus, the giant dollop of sour cream will balance (or cancel) out any spice that there may be.
Couple notes on this recipe…
I like to do mix of chicken breasts and chicken thighs when making shredded chicken for tacos/enchiladas/tostadas/etc. You could use all chicken thighs or all chicken breasts, whatever you prefer!
Also, you can make this in the slow cooker – same ingredients that go into the Instant Pot, go into the slow cooker – cook on low for 8 hours and then shred the chicken.
And finally, ‘street tacos’ are traditionally made with smaller corn tortillas. But you could totally serve this in flour tortillas if you prefer! Love how easy and flexible tacos can be! 🙂
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 cup green salsa
- 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- Sour cream, garnish
- Chopped cilantro, garnish
- Fresh veggies, as side dish
- Place the chicken breasts and chicken thighs into the electric pressure cooker insert with the hot water. Add the green salsa, green chilies, ground cumin, salt and pepper on top of the chicken.
- Steam valve: Sealing.
- Cook on: Manual/High for 15 minutes.
- Release: Natural or Quick.
- Once finished cooking, shred the chicken with 2 forks and mix into the green chile sauce.
- Spoon the shredded chicken into corn tortillas.
- Prepare veggies.
- Serve Instant Pot Green Chile Chicken Street Tacos with sour cream and cilantro garnish with veggies.
This recipe is featured on SouthernPlate.com’s Meal Plan Monday #68.