Tikka Masala…in the Instant Pot??
This is such a fabulous chicken dish…packed with flavor. It calls for a ‘specialty’ spice – garam masala. It’s a very ‘warm’ spice and is commonly used in Indian dishes. It’s a combo of cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and peppercorns. It’s not spicy…but very very flavorful. And it balances well with the tomato sauce and yogurt in this meal.
(I made a similar dish recently on FB Live – “Instant Pot Butter Chicken” , if you’d like to watch.)
Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- 8 boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 small fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into 8 small slices
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1 cup brown rice, as side dish
- Salad, as side dish
- Cook rice, as directed.
- Dice the onion. Peel and slice the ginger (about 8 thin slices).
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces and place into the electric pressure cooker insert with the hot water. Add the onion and ginger around the chicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, garam masala and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken in the electric pressure cooker insert.
- Steam valve: Sealing.
- Cook on: Manual/High for 15 minutes.
- Release: Quick.
- Swirl in the yogurt into the sauce and leave on Warm mode for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare salad.
- Serve Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala over rice with a cilantro garnish and side salad.
This recipe is featured on SouthernPlate.com’s Meal Plan Monday #64.