In high school, we had “off campus” lunch my Junior and Senior years. We would have standing lunch dates and group lunch dates and spontaneous lunch dates. I had a small planner that I kept in my purse with just my lunch dates. (Apparently I’ve always been a nerdy planner girl!) All of this was pre-cell phone days, so we actually had to talk to each other in advance and make plans…and stick to them. No last minute changes sent via text message, lol.
We’d race to meet up, hop in cars, and get to our lunch destination as soon as possible. There were the usual lunch spots that were right near the school, but they were always packed. Then there were the lunch spots that were “just far enough away” to get there and back on time, but not overrun by a bunch of high school kids.
One of those places as a HOLE-IN-THE-WALL Greek food spot and they had the BEST Gyros. Fully loaded with cukes, red onion, tzatziki and perfectly seasoned and sliced lamb. SO DELICIOUS, and worth the drive over to get them!
When I made these chicken gyros for the boys, these memories of our lunch dates that the Greek dive came flooding back. It was the taste and flavors that sent me down memory lane. Amazing how tastes and sounds get so ingrained into our minds!
These chicken gyros are amazing and I hope you love them as much as we did!
And if you’re wondering how I afforded to eat out for lunch in high school all the time, here’s how….
- I had a regular babysitting gig and used some of that money.
- I quit drinking soda and only would get water.
- I would find the restaurants with the cheapest option for food and even wrote a feature in our school newspaper on how to get a “veggie burger” for $.33 at Fuddruckers – you just buy a bun and add veggies from the pickle-lettuce-tomato bar. (The manager let us do this!)
- (Apparently, my nerdy and frugal ways started young too!)
Instant Pot Chicken Gyros
- 4 small boneless chicken breasts
- 1 small white onion
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- Garnish: red onion
- Garnish: cucumber slices
- Side: pita bread or naan bread
- Side: tzatziki sauce
- Slice the onions into half-moons.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, minced garlic and oregano.
- Place the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot insert and sprinkle the onions around them. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Pour the lemon juice mixture over the top. Add in 1/2 cup hot water.
- Cook on High, Manual mode for 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Let naturally release for at least 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, shred the chicken with the sauce and keep on warm mode until ready to serve. Strain before adding to the pita or naan bread.
- Prepare the garnish and tzatziki sauce.
- Serve Instant Pot Chicken Gyros on pita or naan, with red onion and/or cucumber garnish and tzatziki sauce.
- Slow Cooker Directions:Place the chicken breasts in the base of the slow cooker and sprinkle the onions around them. Season with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Pour the lemon juice mixture over the top. Set on low and cook for 8 hours. Once cooked, shred the chicken with the sauce. Strain before adding to the pita or naan bread.