Comfort food at it’s finest.
If you’ve never cooked with an electric pressure cooker, I want to tell you this. It’s the first thing that I share when someone asks me, “What is the deal with the Instant Pot? Why do I need one?”
It cooks beautifully and infuses flavor like no other cooking method. And with the invention and popularity of the electric pressure cooker, it takes out the “guesswork” of using a stovetop pressure cooker. Those are usually used on pro home chefs and cooking professionals. The Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker brand) has helped make pressure cooking “go mainstream” and that’s why they are flying off shelves and breaking Amazon sales records.
(Find out which Instant Pot is right for you!)
So about that flavor infusion…and beautiful cooking style. This stew in the Instant Pot results in a powerful flavor base as the meat and liquid fuse together…and as the sweet potatoes soften and release a touch of caramelized sweetness into the stew base. It also does a wonderful job of softening “stew meat” that can often end up being tough and hard to chew. (Not after being pressure cooked!)
Check out how to make this in the Instant Pot below. And if you’re new to Instant Pot cooking, be sure to check out my online class – Electric Pressure Cooking 101!)
Instant Pot Beef & Sweet Potato Stew
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. stew beef
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 4 whole carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 small white onion
- 4 cups beef broth
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Side: salad
- Gallon size baggie
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes. Chop the carrots, celery and onions.
- Add the olive oil to the insert. Press Saute and let oil warm up. Once warm, brown the meat on all sides. Once browned, press Cancel.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, beef broth, tomato paste, paprika, thyme and give it all a good stir.
- Close the lid and set to Sealing.
- Cook on High, Manual Mode for 12 to 14 minutes. (If you are using large pieces of beef, you might need to cook for 15 to 18 minutes.)
- Natural Release, and then thicken with cornstarch or flour, or keep as more of a "soup."
- Ladle into serving bowls, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the salad.
- Serve Beef & Sweet Potato Stew with salad.
looks delicious! what is the gallon baggie used for in the recipe?