Several times in 2009, I found fresh Atlantic salmon on sale for $2.99/lb…regularly $7.99/lb! This great deal never appeared on the front page of the store circular…but was hidden on the inside pages!
I asked for a pound. Brought it home. Cut it into 4 4 oz. portions. Added the marinade. And froze.
Saturday night, it went straight from the freezer to the oven to our plates.
Broccoli from the freezer. Wild rice mix from the pantry (from Trader Joes…I got it a. long. time. ago!)
- 1 lb. salmon fillet
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- rice and broccoli side dishes
- Cut salmon into meal size portions, about 4 oz. each. Place into foil.
- In small bowl, combine honey, orange juice, ginger, salt and pepper. Pour over the salmon. Wrap up salmon in foil and place in plastic baggie. Freeze. (Skip the place in plastic baggie and freeze parts if making this fresh!)
- If fresh or completely thawed, bake in foil packet at 350 for 15 minutes, or until completely cooked through. If frozen, bake in foil packet at 350 for an hour, or until completely cooked through. Cooking times may vary depending on thickness of salmon fillet.
- Prepare the wild rice mix, or any other rice, as directed on package instructions.
- Steam blanched broccoli in stovetop steamer, or in microwavable bowl covered with plastic wrap for 4-5 minutes.