The holidays are coming. In a few months, yes. And if you want to give the gift of this homemade vanilla…I suggest that you make this RIGHT NOW.
It takes at least 2 months to reach quality flavor potential, 3 to 4 months if you can swing it to really maximize the flavor.
So write down on your errands list to stop at the liquor store to pick up some rum or vodka…and get this made RIGHT NOW.
I HIGHLY recommend these whole vanilla beans. And these dark glass jars are perfect for gifting vanilla!
Homemade Vanilla Extract
The ultimate gift for any friend, family member, or loved one!
Servings - 1 cup
- glass container
- 8 oz 8 ounces rum or vodka (the higher alcohol content the better)
- 6 vanilla beans
- Split the vanilla beans along the length of the bean. This will expose the seeds.
- Cut the vanilla beans in half so that they stay submerged in the liquid better.
- Place the beans into the glass container and pour in the alcohol.
- Store in a cool, dark place for at least 2 months to get the quality flavor. Shake the bottle at least once a week to help move the extraction process along.
- Use this Homemade Vanilla Extract in any recipes that call for vanilla extract.
I’m getting on it RIGHT NOW, thank you! My question- once you’ve removed the extract, can you pour more vodka over the same beans and make more? This seems like it could be a pricey hobby otherwise!
What is the difference in flavor if I use one alcohol or another?
Does the Vanilla extract have an alcohol smell or flavor?