The holidays are coming. In a few months, yes. And if you want to give the gift of this homemade vanilla…I suggest that you make this RIGHT NOW.
It takes at least 2 months to reach qualityÂ flavor potential, 3 to 4 months if you can swing it to really maximizeÂ the flavor.
So write down on your errands list to stop at the liquor store to pick up some rum or vodka…and get this made RIGHT NOW.
Homemade Vanilla Extract
- glass container
- 8 ounces rum or vodka (the higher alcohol content the better)
- 6 vanilla beans
- Split the vanilla beans along the length of the bean. This will expose the seeds.
- Cut the vanilla beans in half so that they stay submerged in the liquid better.
- Place the beans into the glass container and pour in the alcohol.
- Store in a cool, dark place for at least 2 months to get the qualityflavor. Shake the bottle at least once a week to help move the extraction process along.
- Use this Homemade Vanilla Extract in any recipesthat call for vanilla extract.