Pretty, perfectly made breadsticks for your next Italian dinner!
Servings - 4 servings
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup white flour
- 2 tsp ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2 tsp Italian seasonings
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
To brush over the top of the bread sticks:
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- few pinches of salt
- In bread machine, add ingredients in the order listed above. Set to dough cycle.
- Once dough cycle is completed, flour hands and remove dough from the machine. Place dough on lightly floured surface.
- Knead in extra flour if dough is sticking to fingers. Divide dough into 4 medium balls.
- Then divide each ball into muffin size balls. Roll out into skinny, long piece.
- Twist 2 pieces together and place on greased baking sheet.
- Once all dough has been formed into the twisted sticks, brush with olive oil and sprinkle salt over the tops.
- Place baking sheet in warm place and let dough rise for an hour.
- Once bread sticks have risen, place them in the oven and bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes. (Baking time will depend on the thickness of your bread sticks.)
- Once they begin to golden, they will be finished baking.
- Serve Italian Breadsticks with Salad or Spaghetti…or other favorite Italian dish!
- Unused breadsticks can be frozen or eaten within a day or so!