Since the boys are allergic to dairy, I find it easier to make my own buns. Since drastic and mandatory diet changes take a little bit of time to implement, there are still a few things that I am working on changing! I have now figured out the best way for me to do this (I welcome any suggestions…as I have not had time to search the blogosphere high and low yet!).
Today I made 6 rolls and 6 buns. I made a simple dough in the bread machine. I formed the dough into rolls and buns. I let the rolls rise in my “giant” muffin tin, and then baked them in there. I now have HM frozen rolls for our next soup meal!
I laid out the buns in a greased 9 x 13 glass pan, let them rise and then baked them next to the rolls.
I brushed them with melted butter as they were turning golden brown. They cooled off on the cooling rack. 6 rolls were sent to the freezer and 6 buns were sliced for dinner! My eldest ate 2 buns (remember poor kid has been deprived of bread lately!).
How were they? This was hubby’s remark at dinner…”You made these? I would have thought they were from Trader Joe’s had you not told me!!!” What a compliment! I’ll take it! The perfect bun to go with pulled pork, burger, sloppy joes, pizza boats!
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp ricemilk
- 3 cups flour
- 1 package yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- Make dough in bread machine
- Knead and add flour as necessary. Shape into bun sizes and place on greased 9 x 13 glass pan. Place roll dough into giant muffin tin.
- Let rise an hour in warm (not on!) oven. Take them out.
- Turn oven onto 350 F. Once preheated, put rolls and buns in. Bake 20-25 minutes, until slightly golden on top.
- Remove buns, brush with melted butter. Put back in oven for 2 minutes. Remove and let cool on cooling rack. Eat, slice, freeze, enjoy!
These buns/rolls will cover 2 meals!!!
Happy Bread Making!
This recipe is featured on Meal Plan Monday #211.