Ever since I scored that fabulous deal all those cans of tomatoes and diced tomatoes with green chilies, I can’t seem to stop making chili! After making the Spicy Southern Chili, I thought another chili with some kick was in order…but this time with a little sweetness added in as well.
Sweetness…in the form of maple syrup.
I give you my Heat ‘n Sweet Chili!
For a Crowd.
(This recipe will easily serve 8 people!)
Heat 'N Sweet Chili
- 2 lb. ground beef or chuck
- 3 can beans - red kidney and/or black beans
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional - top with sour cream, shredded cheese, sliced green onions
- Veggie Side Dish - steamed broccoli
- Brown the ground beef, drain and return to a large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add the undrained beans, the undrained diced tomatoes, the undrained Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, the chopped onion and crushed garlic. Stir to combine and bring to a slow simmer (slowly popping bubbles) over medium heat. Stir in the maple syrup, chili powder and salt and pepper, to taste. Let simmer 15-20 minutes. If you plan to simmer it longer than this, cover it so that it doesn't lose too much moisture!
- Prepare veggie side dish.
- Serve Heat 'n Sweet Chili with veggie side.
- Freeze the leftovers in smaller meal size portions. Or serve to a crowd with a side of baked potatoes or salad!