Sweet. Spicy. Sweet. Spicy.
I love recipes combine the sweet and spicy flavors from different ingredients. And who doesn’t love a good cornbread recipe…especially one that’s been doctored up with the sweet and spicy flavors!
Here’s a from-scratch cornbread that highlights the sweet from pineapple and the spicy from hatch chilies. Ooooh-la-la-la-la-la!
Taste bud explosion forthcoming!
Hatch Pineapple Cornbread
Yield – 10 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 21 minutes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup diced canned or fresh pineapple, drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (or use homemade vanilla extract!)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons roasted hatch chiles, diced (make your own here!)
- 1 ½ cups white cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- butter for finishing
- Heat oven to 450 degrees
- Place coconut oil in 9 inch oven proof cast iron skillet.
- In small bowl, combine egg, pineapple, sugar, vanilla, chiles, yogurt, and buttermilk. Blend until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients and mix.
- Mix liquid mixture into dry mixture and stir about 20 strokes.
- Remove skillet from oven and carefully pour in batter.
- Bake 18 – 21 minutes until light golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and brush with butter. Slice and serve warm.