Having a stash of goodies is essential for making it through busy weeknights and weekday mornings! I love having breakfast muffins in the freezer for a quick ‘grab n go’ breakfast. I recently heard a stat from a trusted source that the average American spends 7 minutes on breakfast. All parts of breakfast…preparing it, cooking it (or not!), eating it.
That’s not very long.
And kinda makes me have indigestion just thinking about how many people are shoving food in their mouths as they run out the door, literally.
My boysÂ are early risers…so they take their time in the morning, eating their cereal…or eggs…or sausage…or muffins. I, on the other hand, prefer to ‘eat on the go’ like everyone else in the country…because I have 2 school drop-offs to do every morning. Plus packing 3-4 lunches, depending on the day.
So I generally end up shoving something in my mouth on the way out to the door, or will have a plate of something to munch on in the van.
Something like these muffins.
Protein, veggies…for breakfast. Yes, please!
I love these muffins…how the sweet plus the savory balance each other. The flavor from the red bell pepper plus the hint of sage and the savory sausage. A spectacular and delicious way to start the day!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 cup canolaoil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 lb. cooked all-natural sausage
- Grease 18 muffin tins and preheat oven to 375.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and sage. Add the oil and the eggs, then pour in the milk and whisk together.
- Stir in the diced red bell pepper and cooked sausage.
- Fill the greased muffin tins 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake muffins in the preheated oven for 20-24 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Let cool on cooling rack before serving.
- To Freeze: Let cool completely before adding to a plastic freezer baggie or container.
- To Thaw: Let sit on the counter for a bit, or reheat in the microwave on the defrost setting.