I’ve partnered up with my friends at Smithfield Anytime Favorites to bring you this new 31-minute dinner!
A couple of months ago I had 2 different friends tell me on the same day in 2 conversations that I HAD TO SEE THE MOVIE ‘CHEF.’
Ok then. I’ll see the movie Chef.
And so I watched it that weekend. And I adored it. Every part of it. (Except maybe the excessive cursing.)
A few weeks later I found myself in Miami for a conference, not far at all from a ‘famous’ little hole in the wall that was known for it’s Cuban sandwiches. I couldn’t not stop on my way back to the airport.
And with each bite, I remembered 2 things…scenes from the movie Chef, and little glimpses of my years in the Dominican Republic (as the culture and Caribbean look/feel are similar to that of Cuba!).
I’ve been saving this recipe for the “31-Minute Meals series” because it’s F.A.S.T. You can bake them in the oven and flatten the little sliders by pressing on top with another baking sheet. Or if you have a panini maker, you can squish them that way.
But a Cubano sandwich is pretty basic.
Flat-ish bread. Mustard. Pork (sliced or shredded), (usually pork roast but I used super thin pork chops!). Sliced ham. Pickle. Swiss.
Warm and smashed.
For sliders, it goes like this…
Super thin cooked pork chop.
You could also use leftover shredded/sliced pork roast.
(Even with cooking the pork chops, I still made these in under 30 minutes!)
Slice of ham.
Quality and convenience all wrapped into these sliders!
Flat pickle. I prefer dill.
Little Swiss cheese squares.
I added 2 to each.
Close, bake, flatten.
Now, onto the delicious Cubano Sliders recipe!
- 4 super thin pork chops or 2 cups leftover shredded/sliced pork roast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Garlic salt and pepper
- 12 sweet dinner rolls/sliders
- 2 Tbsp mustard
- 6 slices ham
- 12 pickle chips
- 8 slices Swiss cheese, cut into smaller pieces
- Fresh fruit or veggies, as side dish
- Preheat the oven to 350 or turn on the panini press.
- Saute the pork chops in a skillet with some olive oil, until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Season both sides of the pork chops with garlic salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, begin prepping the sliders. Set out the buns on a baking sheet, if you are going to bake them. Add mustard to the bread, then add the cooked pork, a slice of ham, slices of Swiss cheese and put the tops of the bread on.
- Heatin the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Carefully remove from the oven and then 'flatten' the sliders with another baking sheet.
- Serve Cubano Sliders with fresh fruit or veggies.