I’ve partnered up with my friends at Smithfield Anytime Favorites to bring you this new 31-minute dinner!
A couple of months ago I had 2 different friends tell me on the same day in 2 conversations that I HAD TO SEE THE MOVIE ‘CHEF.’
Ok then. I’ll see the movie Chef.
And so I watched it that weekend. And I adored it. Every part of it. (Except maybe the excessive cursing.)
A few weeks later I found myself in Miami for a conference, not far at all from a ‘famous’ little hole in the wall that was known for it’s Cuban sandwiches. I couldn’t not stop on my way back to the airport.
And with each bite, I remembered 2 things…scenes from the movie Chef, and little glimpses of my years in the Dominican Republic (as the culture and Caribbean look/feel are similar to that of Cuba!).
I’ve been saving this recipe for the “31-Minute Meals series” because it’s F.A.S.T. You can bake them in the oven and flatten the little sliders by pressing on top with another baking sheet. Or if you have a panini maker, you can squish them that way.
But a Cubano sandwich is pretty basic.
Flat-ish bread. Mustard. Pork (sliced or shredded), (usually pork roast but I used super thin pork chops!). Sliced ham. Pickle. Swiss.
Warm and smashed.
For sliders, it goes like this…
Super thin cooked pork chop.
You could also use leftover shredded/sliced pork roast.
(Even with cooking the pork chops, I still made these in under 30 minutes!)
Slice of ham.
Adore the ease and flavor of the Smithfield Anytime Favorites sliced ham!
Quality and convenience all wrapped into these sliders!
Flat pickle. I prefer dill.
Little Swiss cheese squares.
I added 2 to each.
Close, bake, flatten.
Just like that, a quick and delicious meal to help you get through this busy back to school season. I love how versatile the Smithfield Anytime Favorites are….they have 20 different cuts of ham, including sliced (used here!), diced (another recipe coming soon!), cubed, chops and steaks. They are an easy solution for getting a tasty and flavorful meal that your whole family will enjoy. Â Thanks to Smithfield Anytime Favorites sliced ham for a convenient and delicious option for us busy home chefs! We are grateful! Find more meal inspiration and recipe ideas atÂ smithfield.com!
Now, onto the delicious Cubano Sliders recipe!Â
- 4 super thin pork chops (or 2 cups leftover shredded/sliced pork roast)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Garlic salt and pepper
- 12 sweet dinner rolls
- about 2 Tbsp mustard
- 6 slices Smithfield Anytime Favorites ham
- 4 sandwich stacker pickles, cut into thirds
- 8 slices Swiss cheese, cut into smaller pieces
- Fresh fruit or veggies, as side dish
- Preheat the oven to 350 or turn on the panini press.
- Saute the pork chops in a skillet with some olive oil, until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Season both sides of the pork chops with garlic salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, begin prepping the sliders. Set out the buns on a baking sheet, if you are going to bake them. Add mustard to the bread, then add the cooked pork, a slice of ham, slices of Swiss cheese and put the tops of the bread on.
- Heatin the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Carefully remove from the oven and then 'flatten' the sliders with another baking sheet.
- Serve Cubano Sliders with fresh fruit or veggies.