So I had a reader send in her recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Cornbread Dumplings that sounds amazing, but I had to make a few modifications since we can’t eat cream of soups or biscuits. I included a cost breakdown of her recipe as well below.
Here is how I made my version “from scratch”…
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast
- 16 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables
- Homemade GF White Sauce or Homemade White Sauce (or make your own cream of mushroom sauce!)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 slices GF Cornbread
- 2 Broccoli Heads
- Place chicken breast in slow cooker. Pour frozen veggies over the chicken (no need to thaw). Pour 3-4 cups white sauce (or cream of soups) over the chicken and veggies. Add water to completely cover chicken. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Prepare and bake your cornbread. Here's my GF Skillet Cornbread Recipe that is amazing!
- About 1 hour before the slow cooker is done cooking, add the cornbread, crumbled into pieces (or top with the biscuits).
- Steam broccoli in steamer for 3-5 minutes or microwave for 3 minutes. Serve on the side with chicken and dumplings.
1 pound chicken ($1.77)
1 can cream of mushroom soup ($.75)
1 can cream of chicken soup ($.75)
1 small onion sliced or diced ($.20)
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables (I use country style) ($1)
1 can of Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits ($1) …these are often on sale and there are always coupons and “ecoupons” for these.
Follow same directions as above.
Cost $5.47 (based on my guess of how much the cream of soups cost??!!!)