This meal is inspired by my favorite “American” restaurant in the Dominican Republic. Whenever we were stretched and feeling culture shock at its worst, we’d go to eat at the “Pasta House”. This was my favorite dish and here is the $5 version!
- 1 Package Tortellini ($1.99)
- White Sauce - Butter, Flour, Milk ($.50)
- 1 cup peas ($.50)
- 5 slices bacon ($.50...this week Kroger has "restock" bacon on sale for $1.99!)(Try cooking bacon in the oven.)
- 1/2 bunch Asparagus ($1...on sale too at Kroger this week for $1.99/bunch!)
- 2 T EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) ($.20)
- Drizzle EVOO over asparagus and let sit. After you finish the rest of the meal, saute a few minutes so asparagus is cooked, yet crunchy or "Al Dente!"
P.S. My neighbor just called…WE HAVE POWER!!!!!!!!! I’m doing my happy dance as we speak!!!!!!!