So this meal was pretty good.Â Came out a little on the bitter side, so I just sprinkled a little sugar over the cranberries on everyone’s plate and we were all happy!
So…you could add a little extra sweetener in before you bake it, or you could do as I did.
It really was tasty…after it was properly sweetened.
And boy am I glad that I froze some fresh produce from the fall and the holidays…because good prices on produce are SCARCE these days!!!
(Below is the recipe as I made it!)
Cranberry Chicken and Rice
- 3 cups cooked brown rice ($.40) (or 1 cup raw brown rice)(See how to bake brown rice in the oven here.)
- About 1/2 cup of apple juice ($.15)
- 3 large chicken breasts ($2.54)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder ($.03)
- 1 bag cranberries ($1.25) Bought on sale over holidays and froze
- 2 Tbsp sugar, sprinkled over the cranberries ($.10) Increase for a sweet sauce
- Dashes of cinnamon and ground ginger, enough to lightly coat the cranberries ($.05)
- 2 cups cooked butternut squash, warmed ($.50) About half a butternut squash, bought when on sale for $.49/lb.
- Cook 1 cup raw brown rice according to package instructions.
- Place cooked brown rice into a 9x13 glass baking dish. (This is a great way to use frozen rice from a big batch. Rice doesn't keep it's consistency after being frozen, but baking it with some juice and cranberries, I didn't notice the "mush" so much!) Pour apple juice into the baking dish with the rice.