Do you ever start out to make one dish and then end up making something entirely different? I started out to make a lemon chicken casserole with green beans and new potatoes, but then remembered that I had used all the lemons making lemonade. I decided to substitute limes, but then that meant I had to change up the spices. Once I had changed the spices, I decided I needed to switch out the veggies for something that would go better with my new seasonings…and by the time I was done the only thing left from my original recipe was the chicken.
The Cilantro-Lime Chicken Casserole came together quickly, which was nice since I spent a little bit of time changing my mind about what to make. I will make the lemon chicken casserole on a another day, probably after I set out to make orange chicken and realize that I am out of oranges. 🙂
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 15 oz. can corn drained
- 15 oz. can black beans drained
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup cilantro shredded
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cumin
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add the oil to a frying pan. Place chicken thighs in pan and sprinkle with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Brown chicken on both sides.
- Combine rice, beans, corn, tomato, and onions in a greased roasting pan.
- Combine lime juice, zest, chicken broth, cilantro, honey, and cumin in a small bowl.
- Place chicken on the rice and bean mixture. Drizzle lime mixture over the chicken and rice mixture.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.