Christmas Crack is the Ultimate Holiday Treat!
This recipe for Christmas Crack is delightful for a few reasons.
It’s easy to make, has simple ingredients, can be made with a variety of flavor combinations, and makes for a really sweet homemade gift!
Also, good luck having just 1 piece! 😉
In addition to this “core” recipe, I’ve got some other options and ideas that you can try as you play with the flavors of this amazing Christmas Crack!
7 Ingredient Combinations for Different Christmas Crack Flavors
You can easily change up the flavors of this cracker toffee by using chocolate chip varieties, extracts, and toppings. The crackers, butter and brown sugar will remain the same as indicated in the recipe below.
The other ingredients can be adjusted as follows: use total of 1 tsp extract + 2 cups of chocolate + 1/2 cup of “large topping” like chopped almonds, or 2-3 Tbsp “small topping” like sprinkles.
Here are a few ingredient combos to consider:
- PEPPERMINT: Semi-sweet chocolate chips + peppermint extract + Christmas sprinkles
- MINTY: 1/2 milk chocolate chocolate chips, 1/2 mint chocolate chips + vanilla extract + Christmas sprinkles
- ALMOND DARK: Dark chocolate chips + almond extract + chopped/slivered almonds
- ALMOND BARK: 1/2 milk chocolate chocolate chips, 1/2 white chocolate chips + almond extract + chopped almonds
- RED & GREEN: White chocolate chips + vanilla extract + red and green sprinkles
- MINTY GREEN: White chocolate chips + peppermint extract + green sprinkles
- CHRISTMAS TREE: Milk chocolate chips + almond extract + Christmas tree sprinkles
How to Make Christmas Crack – Cracker Toffee
Set out ingredients.
Preheat the oven.
Line rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Add a little edge to the foil to keep the warm caramel from spilling onto baking sheet.
Line baking sheet with single layer of saltine crackers.
Melt the butter and stir in the brown sugar.
Bring to bubbling.
Stir constantly for 2 minutes.
Remove from heat once all butter is combined with the brown sugar, and large bubbles form in center of the pan.
Stir in the vanilla extract.
Pour toffee onto the crackers.
Spread so the crackers are covered.
Bake in the preheated oven for 6 minutes.
Remove from oven and set onto counter and immediately…
Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top.
Add another baking sheet over the top to “trap the heat” and melt the chocolate chips faster.
Spread the melted chocolate chips with frosting spreader.
Sprinkle the Christmas sprinkles over the top.
If needed, press the larger sprinkles lightly into the soft chocolate.
Let chill to room temperature or place into the fridge/freezer, then break into bite size pieces.
You can store these in sealed container at room temperature, but I prefer to store these in the fridge or freezer.
If you plan to make these for a gift or gathering, you can make ahead and store in freezer until the day of party/gift giving.
Cracker Toffee - "Christmas Crack" Candy
- 40 crackers 1 sleeve
- 1 cup butter salted is best
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp Christmas sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add a single layer of saltine crackers to the lined baking sheet.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and then stir in the brown sugar and bring to a bubbling boil. Once bubbles form, stir continuously for 2 minutes and then stir in the vanilla or almond extract.
- Pour the butter-brown sugar evenly over the crackers and spread to even out, if needed.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 2-3 minutes and they will soften. Using a cake frosting spreader or a knife, evenly spread the softened chocolate chips to form the chocolate layer.
- While the chocolate layer is still soft, sprinkle the Christmas sprinkles over the top and lightly press into the chocolate.
- Let cool to room temperature for about 2 hours.
- Once cooled, break the toffee into bite size pieces.
- Store Cracker Toffee "Christmas Crack" in a resealable container for up to 5 days. Beyond that time frame, it can be stored in the freezer. (But I predict it will be gone before 5 days!)