A budget friendly meat and potatoes kind of dinner that can be served as a one-dish dinner, or with some fresh veggies or salad on the side!
With this fun dinner, we are twisting up the shepherd’s pie concept…and the “Minnesota Hot Dish” concept…by making a casserole with a chili base, a layer of corn, and a layer of tater tots!
It really is a Shepherd’s Pie-Hot Dish hybrid!
Also, IT IS REALLY DELICIOUS!
My meat and potatoes loving boys gobbled this right up!
It’s a perfect way to use up or repurpose leftover chili too…
This is the kind of meal where I’ll make up a double batch of chili and serve it with cornbread and green beans one night…then make this 2 nights later.
Same big pot of chili, very different meals to enjoy it!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes undrained
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz. bag frozen corn
- 30 oz. bag frozen tater tots
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a saucepan or pot, make the chili. Brown the ground beef and drain. Add in the beef stock, diced tomatoes with juices and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Add the chili powder and garlic powder. Let simmer about 10 minutes, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the chili is simmering, preheat the oven to 400F.
- Once chili has simmered and thickened up a bit, pour into the base of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Then sprinkle the corn into a single layer on the chili. Then add about 1 cup of shredded cheese on the corn.
- Place the tater tots over the cheese, in a single layer, then add the remaining cheese on top, coating the tater tots well.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Serve Chili Tater Tot Bake as a one-dish dinner, or with a side of fresh veggies and salad.