This recipe is part of the 9 Organic Meals from Costco for $100 Plan.Â
I love simple, load and go meals in the slow cooker. They make my life simple…and I especially love this one because my entire family will eat this without a grumble. Including the 18 month old!
With this recipe, it helps to have the chicken cooked ahead of time and shredded. You can cook your chicken in the slow cooker and then shred up all the chicken meat and freeze it in 2-3 cup portions (or more if you have a larger family). It thaws quickly in a bowl of warm water, or over night in the fridge.
Note: This recipe is written for 4 servings. The plan calls for a double batch, so if your slow cooker is larger enough, you could make a double batch. If it is not large enough and you wish to make a double batch, you can cook this in a larger stockpot on the stovetop. Add all ingredients except for the tortilla chips and bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to mingle.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken,made from whole chicken
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 2 cups corn
- 1 cup Salsa
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 15 oz 1 15 oz.
- 2 tsp ground cumin, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, crushed
- Shredded cheese, optional garnish
- Fresh cilantro, optional garnish
- Mixed Greens for side salad
- Add all ingredients except the tortilla chips and optional garnishes to the slow cooker. Stir them together and set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Before serving, add the crushed tortilla chips into the soup and let them soak up some of the liquid.
- Top with shredded cheese, cilantro, or other favorite tex-mex toppings.
- Serve Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup with side salad.