I ran across this recipe in Real Simple. I don’t make many of the recipes in the magazine because they often have more expensive ingredients and they would cost more than $5 for the meal…but when I ran across this one…I knew it could be done for under $5…
…and I think there is just enough leftover that the Hubs and I don’t have to fight over it for tomorrow’s lunch! Yes, I would fight him for this one…it was that good!
The one where we fight over the leftovers!
Servings - 4 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion thinly sliced
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth or store bought
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded chicken meat
- 15 oz. can hominy drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- bread slices side dish
- butter and jam
- veggies side dish
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil and sliced onion and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until turns opaque.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and chili and bring to a boil. Stir in the chicken, hominy and lime juice and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast the bread, then spread on butter and jam.
- Cook the veggies.
- Serve Chicken Posole with veggies and bread.
For us Aussies, is Hominy simply corn kernals?
Garbanzo beans could give a similar taste/ texture.
I saw the same recipe and put in on my weekly meal plan. Thank you for revising it to make it budget friendly.
I’ve recently revived hominy as a staple in our menus. We love it! It’s so good in anything at all.
Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom says
Hominy is corn kernals with the germ portion removed. Corn kernals would be the closest substitute without changing the taste of the meal.
We make the Mexican version of this soup and it is a bit different… Make the same basic broth and add the shredded chicken and hominy as well as some shredded carrots in place of the broccoli. Also, add some Mexican oregano (found in the Hispanic section of your store) for a great new flavor! Top your bowl with some chopped cilantro and finely shredded cabbage and a squeeze of lime… yum!! I think the cost should be about the same… I make a huge pot of this about once a month…
Thanks for having such great dinners to share!
Spagetti Sauce served over hominy makes a nice change from pasta. Use the white hominy.
Spaghetti sauce served over hominy is a nice change from pasta. Try with the white hominy.
This was totally the best chicken soup ever. It resembled Menudo in my opinion but without the cow stomach lining : -) LOVE your blog and many delish recipes!
Leslie, the Home Maker says
I made this tonight, and you are not kidding! It was YUMMMMMMM!
It made the make-this-again list!