I ran across this recipe in Real Simple. I don’t make many of the recipes in the magazine because they often have more expensive ingredients and they would cost more than $5 for the meal…but when I ran across this recipe…I knewÂ it could be done for under $5…
…andÂ I think there is just enough leftover that the Hubs and I don’t have to fight over it for tomorrow’s lunch! Yes, I would fight him for this one…it was that good!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil ($.10)
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced ($.15)
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth (free)
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes ($.59)
- 1 hot chili pepper, thinly sliced (free from the garden)
- 2 cups shredded chicken meat ($1.50) Use shredded chicken from $.88/lb whole chicken
- 1 15-ounce can hominy, rinsed ($.99)
- 2 tsp lime juice ($.10)
- Salt/Pepper, to taste
- 2 mini French loaves ($.20) Bought 8 mini loaves for $.79 on Manager's Special...omit if GF.
- Butter and jam ($.25)
- 2 broccoli heads ($.40) Bought a ton when on sale for $.79, blanched and froze!
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil and sliced onion and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until turns opaque.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and chili and bring to a boil. Stir in the chicken, hominy and lime juice and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice and toast French bread. Serve with butter and jam.
- Reheat broccoli in saucepan with 1/2 cup of water for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve Chicken Posole with Broccoli and French Bread.