I ran across this recipe in Real Simple. I don’t make many of the recipes in the magazine because they often have more expensive ingredients and they would cost more than $5 for the meal…but when I ran across this one…I knew it could be done for under $5…
…and I think there is just enough leftover that the Hubs and I don’t have to fight over it for tomorrow’s lunch! Yes, I would fight him for this one…it was that good!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion thinly sliced
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth or store bought
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded chicken meat
- 15 oz. can hominy drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- bread slices side dish
- butter and jam
- veggies side dish
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil and sliced onion and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until turns opaque.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, and chili and bring to a boil. Stir in the chicken, hominy and lime juice and simmer until heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toast the bread, then spread on butter and jam.
- Cook the veggies.
- Serve Chicken Posole with veggies and bread.