When I need a quick go-to meal, I often turn to the chicken apple sausage that I keep stashed in my freezer. It sits right next to the fish sticks. In the ‘it’s been a terrible day and I can’t even think about what to make, so I’m going to toss these fish sticks in the oven, or these sausages on the grill’ section of my freezer.
Everyone needs a section like that. If you don’t have one, stop what you are doing right now. Write down what you want to put in that section on your grocery list and get it stashed.
It saves me often.
Even when I have a solid meal plan and all the ingredients in place for another meal. Some days are either ‘lose my mind’ or ‘make fish sticks’ kinda days.
So back to the chicken apple sausage…I’ve got a new twist for ya. This is way more exciting than just serving the sausage plain with some BBQ or ketchup. And if you’re smart about the dish you use to make this…it could be a one-dish dinner! (Similar to this one.)
- Tbsp coconut oil
- 12 oz. package chicken apple sausage sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon or 2 cups chicken broth
- 15 oz. can chickpeas drained
- 1 plum tomato chopped
- Rinse quinoa in fine strainer and set aside.
- In saute pan over medium high heat, warm the coconut oil.
- Add sausage and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until adequate internal temperature is reached if using raw sausage links.
- Remove the sausage and add the onions. Saute onions until they become slightly transparent.
- Add quinoa and toast slightly for about 6 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in water, bouillon, and chickpeas to the pan and stir thoroughly until chicken base is dissolved. (You could substitute 2 cups of chicken broth for the water and bouillon.)
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with spoon.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes.
- Slice sausage and place over quinoa mixture or you can stir it all together if you like.
- Serve Chicken Apple Sausage and Chickpeas with Quinoa.