One of my favorite foods in the Dominican Republic were Tostones. And not just any tostones, the tostones from Giberto’s chicken stand! He used perfectly ripe plantains, fried them at the perfect temperature, mashed them to perfection and fried them again for just the right amount time…
Chicken and Tostones (Fried Plantains)
- 1 whole chicken ($4.40) On sale last week for $.88/lb. Will use the meat for 3 different meals, so will divide cost by 3...$1.47!
- 1-2 cups water (or chicken broth)
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- 2 plantains ($.66) Rolled back to $.33 each this week
- 1 cup white rice ($.20)
- Ketchup ($.20)
- 2-3 cups of oil (I used canola) $1 or less depending on the oil!
- Place whole chicken in slow cooker with 1-2 cups of water or chicken broth. Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Cook on low for 8 or 10 hours.
- Prepare tostones as described below.