I made these enchilada gems for my husband and his dude friends…just before Christmas. We hosted a guys night and I made 2 pans of these for the guys to snack on. (And I may have had a few…in the name of quality control!)
The recipe is written for 2 pans…but you could easily half the recipe to make it for just 1 pan.
And before you go all “these can’t be real enchiladas…they don’t use corn tortillas”…calm down. I realize that these don’t use corn tortillas. I don’t like enchiladas that are “cream sauce” based, or “green sauce” based that are made with corn tortillas. For some reason they don’t mix well or taste good to me. So I apologize to all you “enchilada purists”. And I encourage you to give the flour tortillas a try in your next “green or cream sauce” enchiladas!
Freezer Friendly: These would also freeze nicely either before or after they are baked. Thaw completely before baking at 350 for 30 minutes to reheat. Make in a disposable foil baking pan for easy delivery to those in need of a meal!
Fixins for the spinach sauce for inside the enchiladas.
Ready for the oven.
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 16 oz. container sour cream
- 2 - 10 oz. boxes frozen spinach cooked and well drained
- 4 cups shredded pepper jack cheese divided
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 18 soft taco size flour tortillas
- 2 - 10 oz. cans green chile enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease 2 - 9x13 glass baking dishes with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the shredded chicken, sour cream, spinach, 1 cup of the pepper jack cheese, minced onion and garlic, cumin and some salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into each of the tortillas. Roll, and place the tortillas seam side down in the baking dish. (I can generally fit 8 to 10 enchiladas in a pan, depending on how full they are and how tight they are rolled.) Fill both pans.
- Then pour 1 can of the green enchilada sauce over the top of 1 pan, and repeat with the other can. Sprinkle the remaining 3 cups of pepper jack cheese over the 2 pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and begins to golden, and sauce is bubbling.