Ever had one of those moments when you open the fridge and look around…and decide to try a little experiment?
That’s what happened tonight. I had an easy Friday night meal of Waffles on the menu plan, BUT with the freezer crisis and having “breakfast for dinner” on Wednesday night, I opted for a little experiment instead of going with the plan.
A little of this. A little of that.
And the best part. This is a “one dish” dinner! Here ya go…
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 2 lbs.)
- 2 broccoli heads
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups shredded chicken cooked
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, each
- grated Parmesan cheese garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake spaghetti squash in 9x13-inch glass baking dish, in the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes. (Leave oven on...as you will bake this again for a few minutes after mixing it all together!)You can poke holes in the squash and microwave it for about 15-20 minutes if you are in a time crunch, but I don't think the "spaghetti" part turns out as well when cooked in the microwave. My opinion!
- In the mean time, chop broccoli heads, carrots and red pepper. Place in microwavable dish with 1/4 cup of water and cover with plastic wrap. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Once squash is cooked, carefully scrape out the spaghetti flesh.
- Toss the spaghetti squash, broccoli, carrots and red bell peppers into a baking dish (you can use the same one if you rinse it out), and mix in the cooked chicken. Place back into the oven for 5-10 minutes to heat together the chicken and veggies.
- Add a little grated Parmesan cheese as a garnish and enjoy!