Ever had one of those moments when you open the fridge and look around…and decide to try a little experiment?
That’s what happened tonight.Â I had an easy Friday night meal of Waffles on the menu plan,Â BUT with the freezer crisis and having “breakfast for dinner”Â on WednesdayÂ night, I opted for a little experiment instead of going with the plan.
A little of this. A little of that.Â
And the best part. This is a “one dish” dinner!Â Here ya go…
Chicken and Spaghetti Squash Medley
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 2 lbs.) ($1.01) Found some on an unadvertised sale for $.49/lb!!!
- 2 broccoli heads ($.79)
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped ($.30) I used some of the baby carrots that I bought for $.67 this week!
- 1 red pepper (from a friend's garden, and totally optional)
- 1-2 tsp olive oil ($.05)
- 2 cups shredded chicken, cooked ($1.50)
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings ($.05)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, each
- Bake spaghetti squash in 9x13-inch glass baking dish, as you would bake a butternut squash. (Leave oven on...as you will bake this again for a few minutes after mixing it all together!) This takes about an hour, so plan accordingly. You can poke holes in the squash and microwave it for about 15-20 minutes if you are in a time crunch, but I don't think the "spaghetti" part turns out as well when cooked in the microwave. My opinion!
- In the mean time, chop broccoli heads, carrots and red pepper. Place in microwavable dish with 1/4 cup of water and cover with plastic wrap. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove squash (carefully) from baking dish and rinse out the baking dish.
P.S. And I’m sharing 2 brand new recipes over on Everyday Cheapskate today…Gingered Butternut Squash Soup and Zesty Beef and Rice Casserole…be sure to check ’em out!