Sometimes it can be difficult to come up with a quick meal idea for a loved one who is sick, recently had a baby or maybe had surgery. The easiest and simplest way to handle these situations is to have something ready in your freezer, a meal you didn’t have to spend any extra time preparing, because you just doubled up a simple recipe like an enchilada casserole.
This chicken and bean enchilada casserole recipe is very simple to throw together, rather layer together,â€ especially if you already have cooked and shredded a whole chicken, and a batch of cooked dried beans on hand.
This recipe is freezer-friendly, batch cooking-friendly and transports easily. It goes perfectly with a side salad or corn on the cob and is loved by all who try it!
- 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 15 oz. can black beans)
- 10 oz. can green enchilada sauce
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 6 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish or a disposable equivalent dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, black beans, enchilada sauce, sour cream and ground cumin. Mix until well combined.
- Place two tortillas in the bottom of the baking dish, so they cover as much of the bottom as possible.
- Spoon about half of the chicken and black bean mixture over the tortillas.
- Place another layer of two tortillas over the mixture.
- Add the rest of the chicken and black beans on top of the next layer of tortillas.
- Top with the two remaining tortillas.
- Sprinkle the Mexican blend shredded cheese over the top of the tortillas.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and begins to turn golden on top.
- If you plan to freeze this, let it cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Cover with aluminum foil before you store it.