I had to make a little change in the menu plan! I intended on making an Italian Sausage Ziti I similar to my friend Carrie’s.
What we ended up with was a “cheesy” Ziti. Was craving cheese and pasta! So that’s what we’ll have!
- 1 lb Ziti noodles
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1-2 cups milk
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- carrots side dish
- Cook ziti noodles according to package instructions. Drain and place in 9x13 baking pan.
- In skillet, make a homemade white sauce using butter or olive oil, flour and milk. Add Italian seasonings, salt and pepper and parmesan cheese to the white sauce. Let cook until desired consistency. (For a GFCF version of this sauce, click here.)(2.5 If you wish to add Italian sausage to this recipe, simply brown the ground sausage and drain off any liquids. Add the browned sausage in with the pasta in the baking dish.)
- Pour homemade white sauce of the ziti noodles in the baking dish. Stir sauce through the noodles (and sausage). Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, allowing cheese time to melt!
- Peel and slice carrots into thin circles. Place into a small saucepan with 1/2-1 cup of water. Drizzle with agave syrup or maple syrup. Cook carrots for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain water and serve.
- Serve Cheesy Ziti with Glazed Carrots.