I had to make a little change in the menu plan!Â I could NOT cook the Italian sausage.Â Just couldn’t stomach it!Â So I left it out!Â Â IÂ intended on making anÂ Italian Sausage Ziti I similar to Carrie’s.Â What we ended up with was a “cheesy” Ziti.Â Was craving cheese and pasta!Â So that’s what we’ll have!Â And sorry I don’t have a pict.Â “Battery exhausted” was the message I got when I went toÂ upload the photo 🙁
Cheesy Ziti with Glazed Carrots
- 1 lb Ziti noodles ($1) Use rice pasta if GF
- (1/2 lb ground Italian sausage ($1.58))
- 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil ($.10)
- 1 Tbsp flour ($.01)
- 1-2 cups of milk ($.12)
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings ($.05)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese ($.35)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese ($.75) On sale for $1.50/2 cups this week!
- 6 carrot stalks (FREE) I had a $1 coupon for Earthbound organic product and EB organic carrots are only $.88/bag at Walmart!!! If you ever see coupons for fresh produce, snag them and USE them!!!
- Cook ziti noodles according to package instructions. Drain and place in 9x13 baking pan.
- In skillet, make a homemade white sauce using butter or olive oil, flour and milk. Add Italian seasonings, salt and pepper and parmesan cheese to the white sauce. Let cook until desired consistency. (For a GFCF version of this sauce, click here.)(2.5 If you wish to add Italian sausage to this recipe, simply brown the ground sausage and drain off any liquids. Add the browned sausage in with the pasta in the baking dish.)
- Pour homemade white sauce of the ziti noodles in the baking dish. Stir sauce through the noodles (and sausage). Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, allowing cheese time to melt!
- Peel and slice carrots into thin circles. Place into a small saucepan with 1/2-1 cup of water. Drizzle with agave syrup or maple syrup. Cook carrots for about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain water and serve.
- Serve Cheesy Ziti with Glazed Carrots.