Before we start into this delectable side dish, I need to make the following disclaimer.
Calories don’t exist on holiday feast day.
They just don’t. They can’t really. 😉
I’m teasing…there are ways to be smart about calories at a holiday feast…but I like to pretend they don’t count or exist. (hehe)
Making this calorie disclaimer is important with this recipe…but so is this one: this cheesy potato casserole goes a long way. Like, it will make 12 to 16 side dish servings, from a 9×13 inch baking dish. The more you divide, the smaller the servings, and then the fewer the calories…
There I go with the calories again.
Seriously, if you are counting calories and fat, use light sour cream and a little less cheese on top.
But, remember…they don’t count at holiday meals. 😛
OK…I’ll stop…and we’ll just move onto the recipe. K?
This one is inspired by my mom-in-love. She makes something similar for holiday meals. And boy, oh boy…
Here’s my version…
Cheesy Potato Casserole
Adapted from: Steve’s Mom’s Recipe
Yield – 12 to 16 side dish servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 45 minutes
- 2 cups sour cream
- 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 30 oz. bag diced frozen potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, melted butter, spicy brown mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and 1 cup of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Stir in the frozen potatoes and mix well.
- Transfer the cheesy potatoes into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until potatoes have softened.
- Serve as holiday breakfast side dish or holiday feast side dish.
- NOTE: If you wish to you hash brown style potatoes, you can do that in place of the diced potatoes and reduce the cooking time to 35 minutes.