Cheeseless???Â What?Â There’s cheese in the picture!
Right. Right.Â I topped the enchiladas that I served to the Hubs with some cheese.Â This is, of course, optional!Â The inside of the enchilada and the top does not NEED cheese.Â These were quite zesty, zippy and zanny without the cheese!!
And for the record.Â I made these before baby was born.Â Most of what you see here in the next few weeks I made and wrote up pre-baby.Â I wanted to keep sharing recipes with you all while I recovered, so rest assured, I am not “up and at ’em” just yet.Â I am thoroughly enjoying this sweet time of bonding with baby and enjoying our family of FIVE!
- 2 tsp vegetable or canola oil ($.05)
- 1 lb. ground chicken ($2.19)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped ($.15)
- 1 hot pepper, seeded and chopped (from the garden...the last one!)
- 1 tsp garlic powder ($.05)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 6 oz. can organic tomato paste, plus 2 cans worth water ($.40) Used $1 coupon
- 1 6 oz. can's worth of homemade or store bought chicken stock (free, or $.25)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder ($.10)
- 1 tsp ground cumin ($.05)
- 1 tsp garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper each ($.10)
- 1 cup cooked rice ($.10) Great way to use up leftover rice.
- 10 small corn tortillas ($.69) or 8 medium/taco flour tortillas ($1.29) Use corn to stay GF!
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese, optional ($.60-$1.25) Regularly on sale at my store for $1.25/2 cups. Omit if dairy free.
- 1 bag frozen corn ($.49) Bought on sale with store promotion and coupon!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large skillet, heat the oil and the add the ground chicken, chopped onion, chopped hot pepper, garlic powder, salt and pepper.