Tonight’s meal is based on this recipe from Amy at Mom Advice.
To be honest, I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about pasta on lettuce.Â I was quite pleasantly surprised!Â We both really enjoyed it.Â And there’s plenty leftover forÂ my “Chicken Caesar Pasta” lunch tomorrow!
Because the Caesar dressing has milk in it, I separated out this dish for the boys and gave them Italian dressing on their salad!!!
(And please ignore the fact thatÂ I used a simple garden lettuce mix and not Romaine.Â I do realize this breaks all the “Caesar Salad” rules!)
Caesar Chicken Pasta Salad
- About 1 lb. (2 large or 3 small) of boneless, skinless chicken breast ($1.79)
- 1 tsp olive oil ($.03)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups penne or ziti noodles ($.30) Remember my $.50 boxes of pasta!
- 3 small tomatoes (from the garden)
- 1 bag of garden salad lettuce ($.98) OR 1 head Romaine lettuce ($1.50)
- 1/2 cup light Caesar Salad dressing ($.40) (Substitute Italian or other favorite salad dressing if dairy free!)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese ($.50) Omit if dairy free!
- Some Italian dressing for the boys ($.05)
- Fresh baked bread, garlic toast, or muffins (We had Cinnamon Butternut Squash Muffins) ($.50)
- Cut chicken breast into 1/2 inch cubes. Place in skillet with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Saute over high heat for 6-8 minutes, or until chicken has cooked through. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In small saucepan, cook pasta noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Chop lettuce, if necessary, and seed and dice tomatoes.
- In mixing bowl, toss cooked chicken, pasta and tomatoes with Caesar salad dressing. Serve on a bed of lettuce. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top.
- Serve Caesar Chicken Pasta Salad with a side of bread or muffins.