Absolutely, positively adore this meal.
Itâ€™s a plates licked clean and baking dish polished out kind of meal at our house.
You â€œcouldâ€ freeze this after you have assembled it, but we recommend just freezing the filling and then assembling it the day you cook it.
(Assembling it on cook day will help keep the tortillas from getting soggy – blah!)
We hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 15 oz. can refried beans
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Side: avocado slices
- Side: salad
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Spray a square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the minced onion and garlic powder. Drain and return to the skillet. Stir in the refried beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies, ground cumin, chili powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Combine well and bring to bubbling over medium low heat.
- Place a tortilla in the base of the baking dish and add of the ground beef filling, then add a pinchful of cheese. Repeat to form 2 more layers with tortillas, ground beef filling and cheese. Top with remaining tortilla and remaining shredded cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and pie is warmed through.
- Prepare the salad. Slice the avocado.
- Serve Burrito Pie with sliced avocado and side salad.
- Serve with avocado slices and salad.
- Tap here for Freezer Friendly Instructions
This recipe is featured on Meal Plan Monday #155