Chocolate and peanut butter is likely my favorite flavor combo! Of all flavor combos!
It’s just magical…and I adore it…ALOT!
When we lived in Ohio, I loved that there were “Buckeye Balls” everywhere – not just at the holidays. If you’re not familiar, it’s a ball of sweet peanut butter that is dipped in chocolate, with a little of the peanut butter showing. Once formed and set, it looks like the Buckeye tree nuts. The tree nuts are NOT edible, but these dessert versions very much are!
So instead of Buckeye Balls this holiday season, we’re making a Fudge version!!!Â
Here’s how you make it!
Gather up whatcha need…
Mix up the butter, peanut butter, vanilla and powdered sugar…
This will make up the bottom layer.
No judgement from me, if you sneak a spoonful (or two) of that!
Spread evenly into a parchment lined baking dish. This one is 7×11, but a 9×9 would work too!
Also, if you have trouble getting this to spread, you can add a dab of water to your fingers and press it down and spread that way. The water helps keep the buttery spread from sticking to your fingers. I’d avoid flour or oil, as to not mess with the flavors. If any stray water is left behind, a paper towel could dab it up.
In another bowl….
Add the evaporated milk, the other butter and the chocolate chips.
Melt in the microwave.
(Or double boiler!)
Spread the chocolate layer over the peanut butter layer.
And again…no judgement from me if you sneak a spoonful 😛
Here comes the difficult part.
Chill for at least 4 hours. (Ideally overnight!)
Patience is a virtue…and making this fudge will help you practice said virtue! hehe
Once it’s chilled and set, then slice into small fudge size squares and serve.
It tastes JUST LIKE the traditional Buckeye Balls!
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp butter, divided
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 11 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- Line a 11 x 7 pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, add the peanut butter, 2 sticks of butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Microwave on HIGH in 35 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until completely melted and smooth. Remove from microwave.
- Pour the melted peanut butter mixture into the parchment lined pan. Spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Add the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of butter to a medium microwave safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 35 second intervals, stirring after each interval, until completely melted and smooth. Remove from microwave.
- Pour the melted chocolate on top of the peanut butter layer and spread out evenly with a spatula.
- *Chill for 4 hours to allow the fudge to set.
- Cut into square before serving and ENJOY!!