This casserole is a nice way to add more fresh vegetables, and some whole grain rice, to the dinner menu.
I used celery and broccoli since this was what we had available. You can substitute this for your favorite fresh vegetables, or whatever you have on hand.
I also used a can of cream corn, to bring an added fun flavor, and a little creaminess. My teenage sons loved this!
- 12 oz. chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 1 1/2 cups whole grain brown rice
- 14 oz. can creamed corn
- 1 lb. ground chicken browned
- 1/3 cup fresh broccoli florets chopped into small pieces
- 1 1/2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine first five ingredients in a stock pot. Bring to a boil. Then turn down to a low boil and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off burner and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Brown the chicken in a skillet until fully cooked. Set aside.
- When the rice is finished, add the corn, broccoli florets, and browned ground chicken. Stir together.
- In a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch glass pan, spread the rice mixture.
- Top with cheese
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted.